Monday, October 21, 2013

Homemade Lipstick with Natural Ingredients


As I mentioned before, lipstick is my all-time favorite beauty product, so I thought it was only fitting that it be my first homemade creation. There are a plethora of natural lipstick recipes floating around, so I tried my hand at a few. After playing around with different ingredients, I got a pretty good idea of what I liked, so I came up with my own simple recipe. This lipstick is really conditioning and has a glossy finish. It's suitable for everyday wear, but the wash is quite sheer. I'd still like to come up with a more matte and pigmented formula, but all in good time.

Recipe:

  • 2 tsp Castor Oil
  • 1.25 tsp Beeswax pastilles
  • 1 tsp Jojoba Oil
  • .5 tsp Shea Butter
  • .5 tsp Coconut Oil
  • .5 tsp Grapeseed Oil
  • 1 drop Vitamin E
  • Desired amount of pigment

Put the beeswax in a double boiler and add all the oils, plus the vitamin e. Heat until pastilles are completely melted, stirring frequently. Add your choice of pigment, starting small and adding more until desired colored is achieved. Mix well and pour into an oiled lipstick mold as liquid begins to cool. Put lipstick mold in freezer for about ten minutes, trim excess, and pop out completely lipstick. Place in tubes.

Alternately, you can combine all the ingredients excluding the pigment and put in the microwave. Heat slowly in about 15 second increments. Add pigment. If not using a lipstick mold, the liquid can be poured into empty makeup pots or directly into lip balm tubes.

Some choices of natural pigments include beet root powder or turmeric, or you can choose to use FDA approved, cosmetic grade pigments that can be purchased from reputable retailers. Make sure you are using a pigment that is approved for use on lips.

WARNING: The safety of this product has not been tested.
WARNING: The statements made here have not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. These statements are not intended to diagnose, treat or cure or prevent any disease. This notice is required by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It's inspiring, and now I want to make my own! Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete